Re: Micorsoft's Sender ID Authentication......?

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Thu Jun 09 16:49:19 2005

We've already tackled reputation systems, they were called web site
certificates. You have to submit to a few fairly stringent checks on
who you are, typically provide a D&B id which isn't very expensive or
difficult but not all that easily defrauded w/in some reasonable
parameters (it ain't bank security but it's good enough to be pretty
sure you're giving your credit card info to who you think you are,
damn, you hand your card to strange bartenders right?)

But there was real money in web site certificates, indirectly, in the
form of e-commerce. And that area had the good luck of evolving
rapidly in a huge market boom.

There's basically no such money in e-mail, not versus not adding a
reputation system.

No further explanation should be necessary.

However, I'll add my voice that I believe "reputation" systems as an
approach to spam-prevention are neither useful nor sufficient w/o
repeating what others have said.

The problem is really pretty simple; we're trying to solve a big
problem w/o creating any concomitant economics to support a solution.

It's a nice fantasy, and that's what it remains after a decade.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email protected]           | http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*