Re: Using snort to detect if your users are doing interesting things?

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Thu Jun 09 14:39:40 2005

Title: Re: Using snort to detect if your users are doing interesting things?

And when you do set up such an arrangement, depending on the number of rules you turn on, you can generate truly massive volumes of data to be analyzed by ACID or other tools.  It is relatively easy to deploy snort for large volume, small number of rules type deployments.  Aside from scaling the collectors and management console themselves, it can even be a challenge to aggregate all that data in a WAN deployment.

IDS has to be aimed carefully and then fired.  And then one needs to ask what the derived value is, and just how you’re going to deal with the info.  The latter being a magnificent operational challenge.

Or that’s at least been my experience. YMMV.