Re: GBLX congestion in Dallas area

  • From: Rachael Treu Gomes
  • Date: Tue Jun 07 16:34:59 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 12:34:33PM -0400, Joel Perez said something to the effect of:

> I totally agree with you Richard.

So do I, but probably more so with his encouraging your patience than you
appear to.

> But, in this case all im getting is the run-around from GBLX when
> calling them about it. I managed to open up a trouble ticket with them
> but their Techs weren't telling me anything other than they will look
> into it and call me back.

Just out of curiosity, why did you phrase the above as "*managed* to open
a trouble ticket"?  Did GBLX's unwillingness to describe the nature of
the outage that you allege also extend to their willingness to help you
in general?  What you're saying sounds as though they were both relucatant
to open a ticket for you *and* to tell you why they wouldn't and, frankly,
I find that difficult to believe.

I haven't (and I wouldn't want to either, as I've seen how much interference
they have to run and how much ebb and flow is involved in the climate and
the info they receive), but If you have ever been in the employ of a
provider's customer-facing NOC during an outage, you know the following:
while it is standard practice to give at least short-but-informative
answers to customer questions in those situations, it is imperitive that
task priority also be lent to remediation of the problem and managing call
volume, particularly in the early stages of an incident.

(By my estimations based on when you started querying this list, you called
GBLX within an hour of the fiber cut, when it stands to reason that the
providers are doing their own recon on what happened and are less likely to
be able or willing to disseminate what may amount to misinformation.)

Also, are you aware that the groups handling customer circuits and calls
is often disparate from the one managing the state of a backbone outage?

> Even though I am a customer, im not getting any answers so I tried the
> list as a last ditch effort to get some info.

How last ditch, by the way?  How many people did you talk to?

By no means am I trying to antagonize you with these questions, but am
taking the opportunity to conduct my own study on the average customer
threshold for information gathering and return on investment in
informational resources made available to them.

Good luck,
--ra

--
rachael treu gomes                            [email protected]
               ..quis custodiet ipsos custodes?..