Re: Battery Maint in LEC equipment

  • From: Frank Coluccio
  • Date: Sun Jun 05 07:28:15 2005

>>wasn't refering to their POPs. I was refering to the customer location.

For about a year I've been in discussions with a private cable operator (PCO) who
has been knocking himself out trying to optimize an approach that would enable
him to provide generator backups in apartment buildings. He wants to match the
incumbent's triple play offerings, and in particular, he saw the need to provide
uninterrupted voice service during commercial power outages not only as an
amenity that was needed to compete with the telco, but in order to qualify for
lifeline service status, as well. The net effect of seeing what is happening in
the FTTP space has given him license now to begin considering options based on
the use of batteries, as well. Lifeline qualification and delivering non-stop
service availability are two separate, yet related, areas of consideration from a
regulatory persepective.  I suppose its left to interpretation, but I'm wondering
if the ILECs, by their use of a battery-replacement policy may be breaking the
models of both.

Frank A. Coluccio
DTI Consulting Inc.
212-857-8150 Office
347-526-6788 Mobile

On Sat Jun  4 23:56 , Sean Donelan  sent: