Re: OT: NOC Display's

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Thu Jun 02 09:49:31 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 08:54:39AM -0400, Spencer Wood wrote:
>    Anyway,  in  our  NOC  we  current  have two LCD projectors displaying
>    outputs  from  two  different  computers.   On one of the display's, I
>    would  like  to be able to take 4 VGA outputs from 4 workstations, and
>    display  it  on the screen (aka: Hollywood square style).  Does anyone
>    have any recommendations for an inexpensive device that will take care
>    of this?  I have found some nice devices in the 10k price range, which
>    needless  to  say  is a little outside the budget.  Security companies
>    sell  these  devices  for Video for around $500, so I'm figure someone
>    should have a VGA version of the device.

A VGA (much less XVGA, which is probably what you really need) quad
splitter is likely to be pricey as crap.  I'd recommend looking at
using VNC from the workstation you have now to pick up the screens you
need.  Check out:

	http://www.csd.uwo.ca/staff/magi/doc/vnc/extras.html

and specifically John Wilson's VNCMonitor, at:

	http://www.wilson.co.uk/Software/vnc/VncMonitor.htm

which sounds like it will do the splitting for you. I've never used it
personally, but it sounds like it might do what you need.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me