Re: Verizon is easily fooled by spamming zombies

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Wed Jun 01 13:53:57 2005

On Jun 1, 2005, at 12:51 PM, Gadi Evron wrote:

If the ISP wants to use SMTP AUTH or other mechanisms to lower abuse,
that's fine. But to say "only allow ISP.net from addresses - but allow
them from anywhere on the 'Net" is kinda ... silly.

No, it makes perfect sense but that is the one thing I fear we'll have
to agree to disagree on.
I fear you will have to agree to disagree with just about anyone who runs a large mail server.

The solution presented here is not only not a solution, it is also a
problem.

Okay, then I suppose I don't understand the problem. How exactly do you
mean?
1) It is not a solution because it does not stop spam. In fact, it is easier to send spam through VZ's mail servers than just about anyone else's.

2) It is a problem because they do not allow things almost every other ISP does - things which are "standard" and things for which the anti-spam community has been fighting to put in place for many years.

--
TTFN,
patrick