Re: Stanford Hack Exposes 10,000

  • From: Nicole
  • Date: Tue May 31 20:30:31 2005

On 27-May-05 the GW commando coersion squad reported Bob Vaughan said :

>> * Jon Lewis:
>>
>> > How hard is it for a university to generate their own student "serial
>> > numbers" as students register?
>>
>> It's probably hard to restructure your databases and rewrite most of
>> your software. 8-(
>>
>> Of course, any unique identifier will do, but it's hard to make the
>> switch.
>>

> Stanford's student/faculty/staff ID system is not based on SSN's, and
> it has been in place for a number of years.  I don't think the previous
> system was based on SSN's either.
>
> Which brings up the question of why SSN's would be in the career center
> database in the first place.

 One thought.
 Sadly most universities are attended by those who need money from the goverment
in some way or another. Be it a loan or grant that are often managed by the
university. Thus one way or another, as far as I know, unless you pay in cash,
they require all sorts of identification on file to be able to help you apply
for the loan and to manage the loan. Also when people want to check if You have
a degree, they have to have a way to translate You to the person who attented
the university.

 So I think the original statement/suggestion stands. They perhaps need your
information, but becouse of this, they have a responsibiity to guard that
information as well as any swiss bank might guard gold.

 You can never be just a name again..
 Just wait till the biometric data and ID cards come.

  Nicole

--
  -  [email protected]  -  Powered by FreeBSD  -
 "The term "daemons" is a Judeo-Christian pejorative.
 Such processes will now be known as "spiritual guides"
  - Politicaly Correct UNIX Page

 Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and
looks like work.
   - Thomas Edison