Re: Administration Asks Appeals Court To Compel ISP Searches

  • From: Jason Frisvold
  • Date: Tue May 31 15:40:27 2005

On 5/31/05, Chris Ranch <[email protected]> wrote:
> Looks like they want us to turn over customer info without the subpoena,
> but simply with a phone call (or whatever) from an investigator.  I
> would hope that would be just for specific accounts, and not the entire
> customer list.  In any event, now we're going to have to at least
> confirm the investigator's identity, whereas currently the sub carries
> sufficient authority.

Ugh..  Ok, so it's a "Hi, I'm an FBI Agent.  Gimme info on Joe Blow
and Mary Jane" and I'm supposed to jump and give out that info...  No
questions asked...

I'm not so opposed to the "don't tell anyone" part.  When we receive a
subpeona for a criminal case (as opposed to a civil case), the
subpeona usually states that the subpeona and information being
requested can't be discussed by anyone.  Whereas a civil case allows
us to tell the customer if we want to.

My problem would be the handing over of information to what is
essentially an unknown party..  That wonderful law would allow a
terrorist or other crook to impersonate an investigator and gather
information..

> I don't think you meant to say 'without any specific criminal charges
> having been filed', as subpoena'd evidence leads to charges.

Well, the few instances I've had to deal with this, the subpeona was
for a specific case, so I would guess from that information that
charges had been filed...  I'm not a lawyer and I don't even pretend
to understand fully how the whole system works, so I'm probably
wrong..  :)

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
[email protected]