Re: More on Moscow power failure( was RE: Moscow: global power outage)

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Sat May 28 11:22:21 2005

On 2005-05-26, at 07:12, [email protected] wrote:

The Russian media have lots of details about the power
outage, but the general media hardly mentions the fact
that there was a disruption of Internet service.

The MSK-IX web page still has no news about the incident
and no explanation as to why they shut down.
It's not clear to me that the MSK-IX shut down entirely, although it does look like it took a major hit. While I see most of our MSK-IX sessions came up around 2 days 3 hours ago we have at least one that has been up for 4 weeks, suggesting that at least part of one of the switch fabrics stayed up throughout.

The F root nameserver in Moscow is colocated with RIPN. Neither of the nameservers in the F-root cluster there show signs of power failure, in case it helps anybody else here to know of a site in Moscow that has functional power supply protection.

F-root traffic graphs in Moscow suggest local impact was limited to a 5-6 hour window ending around midnight Tuesday UTC.

Joe