Re: Stanford Hack Exposes 10,000

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Thu May 26 19:24:58 2005

Thus spake "Jon Lewis" <[email protected]>
> How hard is it for a university to generate their own student "serial
> numbers" as students register?

Generating them is trivial.  Getting students to remember them is difficult.

> Personally, I'd like to see much harsher penalties for identity theft
> though (and I'm including simple credit card fraud / use of stolen
> credit card info in "identity theft").  This is happening so much, and
> is so often just brushed under the rug by the big credit card
> companies (banks), that kids do it with impunity, knowing that
> odds are they won't be looked for, much less caught.

My credit card number was stolen a couple months ago; they went on quite a
shopping spree across several states before I discovered it and got the
number cancelled.  Here's my experience:

I filed (or tried to file) police reports in each jurisdiction where the
charges occurred, since my bank required the report numbers to process the
charge disputes.  Two cities simply refused to accept my report since I
wasn't a resident, and another required that I file it in person (hundreds
of miles away).  All but one of the cities that accepted my reports stated
flat-out that they wouldn't even attempt to investigate unless _I_ provided
_them_ with a suspect.

One PD, from a rural town in Oklahoma, was actually very helpful.  They went
out, pulled all the video tapes, interviewed cashiers and waitresses, etc.
and the best they could do was provide a description of the man and his car.
I tried forwarding this new info to the other PDs involved, and they
uniformly said they still wouldn't investigate unless I provided them with
the _name_ of a suspect.

Since most of the items purchased were gift certificates from department
stores, I called the various stores' loss-prevention departments to give
them the transaction numbers and suggest they cancel the certificates before
they were redeemed and try to check ID on the perp.  Over half refused to
talk to me, saying they needed official contact from the local PD (WalMart
went so far as to say they'd destroy the tapes if they didn't hear from the
cops within 24 hours).  The ones that did were happy to provide tapes to the
local PD of the person who had already redeemed several certificates, but
they had no means to inform a cashier to check someone's ID when they
presented the remaining ones which had been cancelled.  Of course, the
redemption stores were all in different cities than the purchase stores, so
when I tried to get the local PDs involved, they refused saying "no crime
occurred in our jurisdiction", and the stores wouldn't send the tapes to the
PD where the certificates were purchased.

All told, about $2300 worth of certificates was redeemed and about $1000 of
liquor, food, and gasoline was purchased -- in under a week.  Who says crime
doesn't pay?

> Put a few credit card frauders up in front of a firing squad, and see if
> things change.  But that would require actually picking them up first,
> which LE doesn't seem to be motivated or have the time to do.

As long as the card networks are willing to chalk the fraud up to a "cost of
doing business", nothing will change.  When it starts getting out of hand,
you can be sure they'll see to it a special task force in the FBI is
started.  And it won't help, because the vast majority of fraud is isolated
incidents by opportunists, not the rings of professional criminals the FBI
understands.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov