Re: More on Moscow power failure( was RE: Moscow: global power outage)

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Thu May 26 05:43:01 2005

> More from MosNews:

This is a publication run by right-wing ex-pat American
business men with an ax to grind.

> President Vladimir Putin has already blamed UES Chief Executive
> Anatoly Chubais for the power cut which left much of the capital
> without power, saying management had neglected the company?s
> problems to concentrate on a restructuring plan.

And Anatoly Chubais said:
   Here it is not possible to be of two minds, RAO "UES Russia"
   and I, personally as management, are responsible for the
   accident. All of this is on our conscience, nobody is going
   to shift the responsibility, but the basic actions are now
   directed towards restoration of service and on blocking
   the development more failures.

Would the CEO of your company be as forthright, even in today's
post-Enron, post-Worldcom world?

The technical roots of the failure have been blamed on equipment
dating from 1958-1962 timeframe which wasn't kept repaired and
up-to-date. This is reminiscent of the Comair systems failure
http://www.cio.com/archive/050105/comair.html
and the 9-11 problems with emergency responder preparedness
and the Challenger O-ring failure and the Columbia foam incident.

How many old and forgotten devices and systems are doing mission
critical jobs in your network?

--Michael Dillon