Re: BCP regarding TOS transparancy for internet traffic

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Wed May 25 14:18:50 2005

On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:59:51 +0300, Saku Ytti said:
>  I personally don't want to see DoS traffic taking eg. VoIP priority.

If you're seeing enough DoS traffic that an incorrect TOS is causing an issue
for you, you probably need to find better ways to mitigate that traffic.  Remember
that at the *source* end, the DoS traffic is pretty minimal, and at the target
end, I doubt that the TOS labelling will matter in the slightest....

> I've been also thinking about possibility to differentiate in MPLS EX/TOS
> AS internal and AS external traffic and under congestion start to drop
> AS external traffic first.

I'd recommend making sure that either the AS-external traffic isn't
revenue-generating, or the AS-internal traffic generates more revenue than the
external, or that the people who are generating the dropped traffic are a
set of captive customers. ;)