Re: soBGP deployment

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Tue May 24 13:57:25 2005

>>> the certificates are carried ... in soBGP in a new BGP message.
>> btw, am i supposed to be cheered by yet another overloading of bgp?
> Since S-BGP overloads signatures into the current packet formats, destroys
> packing, and destroys peer groups, I'm not certain that you can make the
> claim that S-BGP has a "lower impact" on BGP than soBGP does.

then i guess i am very lucky not to have made such a claim.

the point is that sbgp's changes, while more than one might prefer,
are made so that congruent data, path attestation, can be carried
in-band.  i consider the trade-off worthwhile for the seriously
improved security, which is the point of the exercise.

randy