Re: soBGP deployment

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Tue May 24 04:12:40 2005

I agree with Tony. No need to overcomplicate a problem.

Today, more and more ISP verify routing, using prefixes or (less reliable)
AS--es, taking them from different sources.
If you be able to add, in small increments, certified information into this
routes, OR create external source of such information,
and intimidate people to use it, you will make a step toward the goal. _You
must not rely_ is really very strong overcomplicating.
There is better to build 90% reliable xxx-BGP extension which will work in 1
year, vs. designing theoretically ideal , 100% reliable solution and never
be able to deploy it.

(It reminds me SSL certificate problem - yes, you _should_ not rely on self
signed certificates and on _in-band_
certificate delivery; anyway, using such certificates and such delivery is
1000 times better vs. using nothing /and danger of such usage is heavily
overestimated by Verisign and other _fat certifiers_ sales. The same here -
it is better to add any, simple information allowing to certify routes,
instead of building the whole new system for this purpose.)