Re: soBGP deployment

  • From: Andrew Dul
  • Date: Sat May 21 13:55:32 2005

At 02:31 PM 5/20/2005 -0400, Christopher Woodfield wrote:

>As far as answering the "First Goal" of the article, I really don't
>see much here that isn't handled today by route registries, except
>for the TLS certificate stuff. Not sure how much security that adds,
>practically; how often do people see their route objects jacked by
>hax0rs?

Unfortunately it doesn't really matter how unlikely or how infrequent
people hijack routes.  The hijack of one high profile prefix is going to
cause a lot of damage, which could number in the multi-millions of dollars.

I also don't see routing registries today really providing highly accurate
information.  Sure most of the time it is pretty good but you really don't
know for sure.  Yes securing BGP is a lot of work, but I believe something
is going to have to happen as time goes on.  There is just too much risk
for not preventing hijacking of address space.  We as operators can decide
to secure the network or after some 'incident' occurs a government will
mandate something that may not be fully baked and could be a lot more work.

Andrew