Re: VoIP operators given 120-day deadline to implement E911 services

  • From: Jason Frisvold
  • Date: Thu May 19 14:39:01 2005

On 5/19/05, Bruce Pinsky <[email protected]> wrote:
> That last part ought to be interesting to try and implement in 120 days:
>
> "...must provide the emergency operator with the customer's callback number
> and location, regardless of whether the call is being made from the
> customer's home or elsewhere."

I'm not sure how VoIP operators are going to accomplish this..  The
ugly method would be requiring the user to put in their location
information when the VoIP device first goes online, but I'm not sure
that's even remotely practical...

I know you can sometimes get generalized location information from an
IP, but nowhere near what's needed for 911 operations..

Any insight on how this is going to be handled?

> So what's the local 911 center I should be routed to when I'm at the Cebu
> Phillipines airport and making a VoIP call?

Where should I be routed when I'm making a VoIP call while wardriving?

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
[email protected]