Re: Underscores in host names

  • From: Brad Knowles
  • Date: Thu May 19 05:54:22 2005

At 6:10 PM -0700 2005-05-18, william(at)elan.net wrote:

 The only reason it has not been discussed more actively is that no
 TLD operator has yet come forward and said that they are going to use
 TLD host for emails, but as soon as one does this would have to be
 accommodated and quickly (otherwise it will remain as an open issue
 for future update to SMTP - probably RFC4821 if this numbering
 continues :)
Check Guinea-Bissau for .gw. This has been a source of heartburn for many years. Any site that has a mail gateway system and uses unqualified hostnames is at risk, because mail to "[email protected]" could legitimately be interpreted two different ways, and mail could be mis-directed.

I did some consulting at a major wall street trading firm that had this problem, and the only reason we ever found out that something truly bizarre was going on was because we were getting back these bounces which we couldn't explain, because we knew for sure that the user portion was legitimate. Then we started looking closer at where the bounces were actually coming from.

--
Brad Knowles, <[email protected]>

Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755