Re: Underscores in host names

  • From: Brad Knowles
  • Date: Wed May 18 16:19:32 2005

At 3:51 PM -0400 2005-05-18, Eric A. Hall wrote:

 but it was wrong, and the need for it is past, and it's time for redress.
 So, you found some pre-existing rules, used them as cover for your
 problem, and now that your ~problem is fixed the pre-existing rules
 shouldn't matter to anybody anymore?
	Who said the problem is fixed?

                                       Come on now, isn't it slightly
 possible that those rules were pre-existing for reasons that have nothing
 to do with you?
Man, did you get up on the wrong side of the world? Everything I've seen from you lately seems to be very acidic and bordering on intentionally insulting.

Can we try to have a decent intelligent discussion? More importantly, can't we have this discussion in a more appropriate place?

 Alternatively (and what we have in the pre-existing rules) is to forbid
 those characters entirely, so that nobody is forced to kautau to a
 specific nationalized character set.
There is a solution for this problem. Use 32-bit character sets which are defined to include the entire collection of known character sets in all other languages on the planet.

But this means you have to have a flag day, unless you can come up with some way to also be backwards compatible. And so long as you're backwards compatible, you can't get rid of the legacy problems. So, you're right back where you started.

                                       While that may feasible in protocol
 commands and such, it's not feasible to mandate that /etc/hosts MUST
 always use US-ASCII code-point values for characters that may not even
 exist in the local nationalized charset.
The problem is that /etc/hosts is a 30 year old solution, and we knew twenty years ago that it didn't properly solve the problem, and didn't solve it in the right way. So long as you're going to call it /etc/hosts, I don't see how you can change the character set.

                                           Really, spend some time with the
 ECMA derivative sets and you'll see what I mean--there are characters in
 some of them that aren't in the others, or they are misplaced, or they are
 defined as alternates, and so forth.
I live in Belgium. Been there, seen that. Exchanging one country-specific character set for another is not a solution. You need a more over-arching solution that is equally applicable everywhere.

 I'm glad you fixed your problem, but really, this isn't about DNS, it is
 about universal representation of hostnames despite the media that is used
 to convey those names.
A standalone machine is worthless. In fact, the definition of a truly secure machine is one that is completely isolated from every other machine on the planet. And if that machine is going to be connected to others, you have to talk about representational issues, which means the DNS.

Like it or not, when you talk about hostnames, you must also talk about DNS.

Now, can we please take this discussion to a more appropriate place?

--
Brad Knowles, <[email protected]>

Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755