Re: Underscores in host names

  • From: Eric A. Hall
  • Date: Wed May 18 15:52:23 2005

Paul Vixie wrote:
> (why are we talking about this on NANOG rather than NAMEDROPPERS?)

because it's not relevant to the underlying rules

>>Check-names was a bad idea that might have been justified at the time,
>>but pretending it remains justified by 952/1123 has got to stop sometime.

> at the time of check-names, i outlawed _ as a side effect of punting.  in
> order to strip/prevent newline characters in PTR targets, i had to be able
> to refer to an RFC (lest people come to me with many individual sob stories
> about this or that special character that either should or should not be
> stripped/prevented in gethostbyaddr().)  the only RFC i found that had any
> remote chance of getting me off this hook was #952.  ergo, _ had to die in
> order that my inbox might live.
>
> but it was wrong, and the need for it is past, and it's time for redress.

So, you found some pre-existing rules, used them as cover for your
problem, and now that your ~problem is fixed the pre-existing rules
shouldn't matter to anybody anymore? Come on now, isn't it slightly
possible that those rules were pre-existing for reasons that have nothing
to do with you?

Consider the code-point value of "$" as it is used in iso-646-us versus
iso-646-de or any of the other ECMA derivatives, or any of the other ISO-*
derivatives that don't have direct ASCII character mappings. That
character (and many others) can have different and distinct code-point
values in multiple character sets, but it has to be identical everywhere
in order for it to have meaning. Thus, allowing the "character" to be used
means mandating a specific code-point value for that character.
Alternatively (and what we have in the pre-existing rules) is to forbid
those characters entirely, so that nobody is forced to kautau to a
specific nationalized character set. While that may feasible in protocol
commands and such, it's not feasible to mandate that /etc/hosts MUST
always use US-ASCII code-point values for characters that may not even
exist in the local nationalized charset. Really, spend some time with the
ECMA derivative sets and you'll see what I mean--there are characters in
some of them that aren't in the others, or they are misplaced, or they are
defined as alternates, and so forth.

I'm glad you fixed your problem, but really, this isn't about DNS, it is
about universal representation of hostnames despite the media that is used
to convey those names.