Re: Underscores in host names

  • From: trainier
  • Date: Wed May 18 12:43:10 2005

There IS a patch available to "fix" the issue in squid which refuses to pass/cache data from websites/domains with "_" in their name.
I'll also note that bind 4.9.4 also has issues with underscores in host/domain names.

David Conrad <[email protected]>
Sent by: [email protected]

05/18/2005 12:35 PM

Mark Andrews <[email protected]>
cc
[email protected]
Subject
Re: Underscores in host names

As a result of my late night rant (must learn not to read email late
at night after getting off an airplane), I have received input that
two applications that have issues with the "_" character:

1) Squid/Squid proxy from two people (although there wasn't any
indication of the actual issue, presumably Squid won't be able to
contact the host to cache the content?)

2) "Create a cert for a host with an _ in the name, install said
cert into apache/mod_ssl, try to surf (at least using IE)
to that server." -- Matthew Christopher

This is useful information and can help the original requester make
the business decision as to whether or not he will relax his
restriction against "_" in the character string that he'll allow his
customer to use in data sent to/received from domain name servers he
controls.

I suspect the rest of the jihad against heathen characters such as
"_" should probably be redirected to namedroppers so I won't comment
further.

Rgds,
-drc