Re: what will all you who work for private isp's be doing in a few years?

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Fri May 13 06:21:47 2005

> And "virtualized"?  ASP (Application Service Providers) were going to
Change
> The Computing Environment. Googling for "application service
> provider" gets 2.3
> *million* hits.  Their *actual* impact?  You tell me.

Their impact can't be measured because it spread out into niche
markets. Like blogs and wikis and all those photo sites.
And my company's network with 1,000 customers and PoPs in
20 countries all doing 100% ASP traffic. ASPs businesses are
thriving. However, the crystal ball gazers who hyped them
back in the late 90's just got it all wrong because they
thought ASPs would displace MS-Office desktops and SAP
installations.

The fundamentals of the ASP industry is that there are
companies providing their customers mission critical
services over a shared IP network, whether it is the
public Internet or a single operator network like ours.
It's big business and if you dig into what your customers
are actually doing with their Internet connections, you
will find it there.

--Michael Dillon