Re: what will all you who work for private isp's be doing in a few years?

  • From: eric-list-nanog
  • Date: Thu May 12 14:42:20 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 14:32:45 -0400, Joe Loiacono proclaimed...

> So imagine a residential area all pulling digital video over wireless.
> Sound familiar? Ironically close to TV! (yet so different)
>
> What I can't understand is why multicast hasn't just gone gangbusters into
> use yet. I see it as a really pent-up capability that, in light of
> broadband video, etc., is just going to have to break wide open soon.

Do any of the cable companies actually use multicast? A while back, I saw
some programming information being broadcast out to my cable modem (I don't
remember if it was multicast at this point), but with the DVR's out there
now, my TV is just a glorified computer display anyway :)

- Eric