Re: Internet attack called broad and long lasting

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Wed May 11 09:50:08 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005 13:44:22 +0300, Gadi Evron said:

> First, I don't really see why an attack should be estimated by the tool
> used. If a 10 years old exploit would work, why should an attacker look
> for and use a 0day? It's silly allocation of resources.
>
> Burrowing from that, if the attack is successful, and the loss is
> significant, I think the way there - although cute, is irrelevant except
> for the defender.

Actually, it *is* relevant for the "rest of us".

Given the number of boxen that got whacked, and the number of sites involved,
"the defender" *is* "the rest of us", and "we as an industry" obviously need
to get our collective act in gear.  Remember -

*Your* boxes may be hardened beyond all belief and plausibility, but you're
*STILL* screwed if some teenaged kid on another continent has more effective
control of the router at the other end of your OC-48 than the NOC monkey you
call when things get wonky....