RE: Internet Attack Called Broad and Long Lasting by Investigators

  • From: Jim Popovitch
  • Date: Tue May 10 17:09:24 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 10:24 -1000, Scott Weeks wrote:
> Don't give folks that have access to machines that hold sensitive
> info the ability to download software unless you know they're savvy
> enough to do so safely.

I don't see that as root of the problem.

To me the real problem is in the use and handling of usernames and
passwords.  Take your typical contractor or SE (i use to be one) they
have usernames and passwords for their corporate systems as well as
customer systems.  OK, so they may be careful who they share those
credentials with, but they aren't careful enough with how they use those
credentials themselves.  I wish I had a nickle for every time I've seen
a person assume everything was a-ok since they were using ssh, even
though they couldn't have told you who installed ssh (or the remote
sshd) on the systems.  So, the SE ssh's into *your* corporate systems
using ssh on their laptop (probably d/l'ed by googling for PuTTY or SSH
and pulling the first available URL) while on a service call to your
facility.  Or how about the SE who ssh's into *their* corporate network
from some rogue contractor box inside your network.  Then there are
those people who run bleeding edge O/Ses that constantly update from
god-only-knows-where servers all over the world... what version of ssh
is installed today?  And there are those co-workers who "think" they
know what they are doing but really don't.  Ever dropped a BSOD
screensaver on to a co-workers computer, dropping a bogus ssh executable
is even easier.

Use LDAP?  Isn't it nice having one username and password for *all*
things?  The l33t [ch]4ck3rs love LDAP credentials.  Your SSH password
is the same as your IMAP/SMTP/POP3/HTTP/RDP password.

In short: people need to not only respect their login credentials, they
need to only use them from trusted systems and constantly be vigilant
about the level of trust they have for those systems.  DON'T mix
usernames and passwords between differing classifications of systems.

-Jim P.