Re: Google DNS problems?!?

  • From: aljuhani
  • Date: Sun May 08 12:08:35 2005

Hank Nussbacher wrote,

> I really like Google.  I like what they do.  But lately, their security
> team is a joke.  I had a problem with their POP Gmail service and the
> advise I got from their Gmail team was to turn off my CA EZ antivirus and
> my ZApro firewall and to try again and see if the problem repeats
> itself.  For a moment I thought it was an April 1st joke.
>
> When playing with Gmail or Ggroups - try to find a link to report abuse or
> a security problem (yes - one exists - but not one that is easy to find
> from Gmail or Ggroups).
>
> I attribute it to size - when one gets big enough - one truly believes
that
> gravity is affected by your company.  Unless Google shapes up, they will
> quickly find out what happens to large, cumbersome, and clueless
companies.

Well I am not a DNS expert but why Google have the primary gmail MX record
without load balancing and all secondaries are sharing the same priority
level.

I have a server that relay usenet messages to my gmail account and here is a
week worth of stats showing how google mail servers are handling incoming
mails:

Total Number of messages sent to gmail: 1945 messages of which:

1888 (97%) messages were gated through Gmail's Primary mail server
(gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com).
21 messages were gated through Gmails Secondary (gsmtp171.google.com)
13 messages were gated through Gmail's Secondary (gsmtp171-2.google.com)
10 messages were gated through Gmail's Secondary (gsmtp185-2.google.com).

So in short, 97% of the email was delivered through the primary while the
secondaries only served 3%.

My question why they do not make all mail servers at the same priority level
instead of current
which load balance the Secondaries only.

BTW mx records for google gmail are:

MX 5 gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
MX 10 gsmtp171.google.com.
MX 10 gsmtp185.google.com.