Re: Acceptable DSL Speeds (ms based)

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Thu May 05 07:38:19 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Luke Parrish wrote:

Does anyone have a good resource for acceptable speeds for home DSL customers?

I would like to see acceptable speeds from the customer CPE to the first layer 3 hop, the hop to the upstream and the hop that leaves the upstream network.
If your provider has their L3 equipment in the pop you're physically connected to, you should have no problem getting less than 10ms RTT to your first hop with small packets. Add to this any interleave configured in the dslam (shouldnt be needed for regular ADSL, at least max 4 ms), and then add any ATM path latency from the dslam to the BRAS (or whatever first L3 equipment is on the way) if it's built that way.

For us, FAST-mode was ok for ADSL, but for ADSL2+ we needed to use 8-16ms interleave for high-speed customers (generally the ones which got more than 15-18megabit/s), otherwise they would get a lot of errored seconds.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: [email protected]