Re: Acceptable DSL Speeds (ms based)

  • From: Andy Johnson
  • Date: Wed May 04 12:31:15 2005

Luke Parrish wrote:
My email was confusing since I said the word speed, I would like to ms roundtrip for the following:

*1. CPE to first layer 3 hop
2. CPE to first layer 3 upstream hop
3. CPE to layer 3 exit point of upstream

*Example:

Trace route to www.yahoo.com

<http://www.yahoo.com/>1. 10.10.10.1 (CPE) 1ms
2. 10.10.10.254 (DSLAM)(cte) 21ms*(first layer 3 hop)
*3. 11.1.1.1 (Router)(cte) 24ms
4. 5.5.1.3 (upstream interface)(level3) 68ms*(first layer 3 upstream hop)
*5. 5.4.3.2 (exit point of upstream)(handoff from level3 to at&t) 94ms *(layer 3 exit point of upstream)

*Those ms values are what I am curious about. What are other providers seeing and what are, in your opinion, acceptable ms times for a home 1.5M dsl user...

Luke

The speeds will vary based on the packages built out. When using interleaved mode (for ADSL anyways), you will see somewhere along the lines of 20-30ms from the CPE to the DSLAM. When not using interleaved, I have seen 5-10ms between the CPE and DSLAM. Ofcourse, cable distances play into this as well I'm sure. And different technologies (SHDSL) will have different latency figures.

--
Andy