Re: [dnsop] DNS Anycast revisited (fwd)

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Wed May 04 00:47:50 2005

On May 4, 2005, at 12:08 AM, Edward B. Dreger wrote:

PWG> I was just talking about people setting up anycast name servers, each
PWG> of which pointed at a different HTTP server (or other service), to
PWG> spread load. In many cases, the two servers are the same.

Ah, okay... which again helps demonstrate the lack of coupling between
*cast and coherency. A single unicast DNS server can serve split views
just as easily.
Views and anycast serve different, although sometimes similar or overlapping, functions. (Which you know very well, Eddy.)

Think we've gone down the path enough for people to understand at least some of anycast's pros & cons. If anyone here would like a compare/contrast on views vs. anycast, let us know and we'll discuss.

But not tonight. It's late, and I wouldn't want to interrupt the flame-fest with actual operational content. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick