Re: [dnsop] DNS Anycast revisited (fwd)

  • From: James
  • Date: Tue May 03 20:08:26 2005

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 06:59:45PM -0400, Paul G wrote:

> [...]

Coherency of DNS service is dependent upon the operational clue of the
hostmaster in charge of such DNS systems and ensuring that each specific
system is maintained to provide consistent service. (i.e. ensuring zones
are properly updated on all servers, ensuring each system can answer
the queries by enduser with proper answer)

Anycast obviously opens a small set of can of caveats and notes while
providing benefits.  A properly configured and maintained anycast DNS
setup can provide just as much coherency than using different unicast
addresses, and ofcourse YMMV.  And this has been done and is already being
done by more ISPs to simplify their resolver DNS service.  Honestly I've
heard more success stories with anycast deployments than failure stories
from the operational community thus far.  Failure stories I've heard so
far with respect to operational caveats of anycast were primarily brought
up by those researching different and varying scenarios, many of which
are very uncommon on the normal internet, but not primarily from those
who actually operate a network and striving to provide service.

Just as with anycast, people implementing per-packet load balancing should
be aware of its caveats and implications before turning it on without
reading the fine manual.  Also note that most of popular setup of
per-packet load balancing is done on a setup where multiple circuits are
bound to the _same_ router, to provide added throughput.  For most people,
the extensive jitter provided by enabling PPLB accross different uplink
POPs/ISPs is enough to fail the Return On Investment (ROI) of doing so.
Before we even get to jitter, I would hate to see a sporadic sick-looking
traceroute for all hops beyond the point where PPLB is enabled, due to
PPLB being enabled between different IGP paths or uplink carriers.

I myself would agree with the most of the anycast-supportive operators
in that we should rather worry about tangible reality operational problems,
not theories or lab-environment-generated proof of concepts.

To really understand just what anycast is, I find this pdf introduction
pretty useful for many folks who are new to the anycast topic and are
looking to find some value in this long thread :) --

	<http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0310/miller.html>

-J

(another person who deploys anycast for a few networks and have been
 very happy with the results it provided)

--
James Jun
Infrastructure and Technology Services