Re: [dnsop] DNS Anycast revisited (fwd)

  • From: Edward B. Dreger
  • Date: Tue May 03 19:40:59 2005

PWG> Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 18:03:12 -0400
PWG> From: Patrick W. Gilmore

PWG> NB [translation, "operational content"]: Akamai does not use any
PWG> anycast for HTTP.  I am not at all certain why Paul is telling us
PWG> this is a bad idea, since we don't do it.  Then again, we might in
PWG> the future, I am not privy to every decision in the company.  (No,
PWG> that is not a "hint", I really do not think we will do anycast HTTP
PWG> for content delivery, but I also really do not know everything we
PWG> will do in the future.)

One also should distinguish between TCP _to_ an anycasted address and
TCP _from_ an anycasted address.  The latter is trickier, as asymmetric
routing increases the chances that the session will need to be
transferred to another pod:

	ac LAX --> uc PHX
	uc PHX --> ac DFW

This presses the question of synchronization (how do LAX and DFW know
about each other?) and source-based routing.  IMNSHO there's more
overlap between these two topics than one might expect, too.

When anycast gets _really_ interesting is when an anycasted client makes
a request [from an anycasted address] to an anycasted server.   The
results resemble persistent BGP oscillation due to poor MED choices:

	ac LAX --> ac PHX
	ac PHX --> ac DFW
	ac DFW --> ac ORD
	ac ORD --> ac SJC
	ac SJC --> ac LAX

I could see that happening with anycasted SMTP, but it would be less
likely (although certainly not impossible) with HTTP.  i.e., an HTTP
client isn't as likely to be anycasted as an SMTP client.

Far too much to cover in a noisy NANOG thread. :-(  Hence the need to
agree on just what "anycast" is before debating the merits.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/