Re: On the-record - another "off-topic" post

  • From: Dean Anderson
  • Date: Tue May 03 18:26:53 2005

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Gadi Evron wrote:

> > Thats right. That's why I debunk them. The lying children call me names.
> > They really hate it when you debunk their fallacies.
> >
> > Vixie is a "screamer", like John Bolton. I'd love to say "procmail Vixie",
> > but he has too much control over DNS root servers to ignore him. I did
> > that back in the early 90's. He was a jerk then, and I decided I had
> > better things to do, than work on DNS.
> >
> > But his judgement is so poor (on so many subjects) that he needs close
> > supervision, regardless of how detestable his personal behavior is.
> > Indeed, his detestable behavior over the years is what has caused people
> > not to want to deal with him or his bad judgements.
> >
> > 		--Dean
>
> Okay. Paul is an asshole. You got your point across. Now what? Did you
> prove him wrong? You going to such a personal level on-list makes you a
> **** (chose 4 letter word).

That's rich. People are posting ad hominems of me. By contrast, my
criticims of Paul's personal problems are not ad hominem. "Ad hominem"
means attacking the messenger. That's what Paul and a few other people are
doing to me. However, most of the others have no position of trust, and so
their childish behavior, while inappropriate, is essentially meaningless
and harmless.

My comments about Paul's personality are about what his ad hominems reveal
about his personal judgement and character. This is not an ad hominem. I
_don't_ say he doesn't have a right to his opinion because he's an
asshole or idiot or anything that is similar to what is being said about
me.

I say that personal judgement and character is an issue for someone in
control of critical infrastructure. Paul is in control of a root
nameserver. His personal judgement and character is a valid concern. His
(mis)behavior is reflective on his personal judgement and character.

So far as the technical arguments go, I've already won all of the
arguments I've presented here in the last few days in other forums where
people aren't allowed to resort to ad hominems and then run off. When they
are forced (either by their lawyers or by other protocol) to address
technical issues honestly, they have lost on each of these questions.

Basically, when the discussion degenerates to "dean is a troll", on a
forum like this, it means they've run out of ideas, but don't want to
concede anything, and are looking to divert attention to something else.
And of course, one can't make someone (on a forum like this, anyway)
concede anything, and they wouldn't do so willingly.

		--Dean

617 344 9000