Re: FCC To Require 911 for VoIP

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Sun May 01 22:08:38 2005

>> s/zipcode/unique geographic identifier on the rough order of a square
>> mile/
> Or have the server return the SNMP location information.  The network
> operator would then be able to configure locally meaningful
> information.

i figured that folk were welcome to smoke whatever they wanted on
the weekend.  but the hot air is getting pretty thick, and it's
almost 28c here, and the tradewinds are too light today <whine>.

so, do tell me the oh so simple and deployable solution that will
cover just how i use voip
  o asterisk server in seattle with gateways to
    - a few voip/pstn gateways
    - peer asterisks in nigeria, ...
    - and a direct pstn gateway or two
  o fixed sip phones about 10 miles from seattle but tunnel to
    seattle
  o fixed sip phones in hawaii about 2500 miles away from seattle
    and they tunnel
  o same for los angeles
  o soft phones on various laptops, some tunnel some don't, but
    they all meet the pstn via (not necessarily at) seattle
  o 802.11 sip phones with which we wander into all sorts of 802.11
    hot spots around the globe, but they meet the pstn via (not
    necessarily at) seattle
  o ...

when you have a scheme simple enough to be described in a screen of
ascii, and which lets me have control of my data privacy (it's none
of the fascists' business where i am unless i want to tell them),
i'll listen.  otherwise, i suggest you have some studying to do
rather than wasting your cred or trying to clue trogs such as jay.

randy