Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

  • From: Mark Andrews
  • Date: Sun May 01 21:41:57 2005

In article <[email protected]> you write:

>[In the message entitled "Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security
>burden" on May  1, 12:25, "Jay R. Ashworth" writes:]
>> Ok, so here's a question for your, Dave:
>>
>> do you have a procedure for entertaining requests to be excluded from
>> your replies from people with legitimate needs to operate MTA's, who
>> have been given (let us say) static addresses by their providers which
>> fall within a range you understand to be dialup?
>>
>> (I'm assuming you include cable and DSL end-user address pools; this is
>> the sort of thing I'm asking about.)
>
>Of course, Jay.
>
>First off, static addresses don't belong on the DUL (unless the ISP
>chooses to list them).
>
>Second, any address can be removed by the ISP (even if it is a /32 in
>the middle of an otherwise all dynamic /16).  End-users are directed
>to have their ISP contact us, as we *do not* take the end-users word
>for it.
>
>A quick note to [email protected] will get it handled.

	Actually I think there are multiple classes in DUL.

	1.  unfilter addresses dynamic
	2.  unfilter addresses static
	3.  ISP filtered addresses dynamic
	4.  ISP filtered addresses static

	Most people using DUL for blocking want to detect the
	unfiltered addresses.  Filtered address space poses no more
	risk than any space not on the DUL and may infact pose less
	risk as you know that requires a deliberate act by the ISP
	to allow outgoing SMTP connections.

	Whats needed is two lists.  One for the unfiltered and a
	second for the filtered addresses.  The second one can be
	used as a white list for those who insist on using name-patterns
	to block addresses.

	We already have evidence in this thread of one person using DUL
	as a white list.

	By continuing to lump filtered and unfiltered addresses together
	you are throwing out the baby with the bath water.

	I don't see the need to distinguish between static and dynamic
	address.  All address space can be classes as static / dynamic
	depending upon the time frame the address use is measured over.

	Mark