Re: FCC To Require 911 for VoIP

  • From: Florian Weimer
  • Date: Sun May 01 18:10:30 2005

* Peter & Karin Dambier:

> Skype and public domain telefones dont know about location,
> nor will they ever learn.
>
> The only place where somebody could catch a 911 call is at
> a sip server.

Come on, let's be a bit more creative.  Location signalling over IP
would be technically feasible.  Your ISP does in fact know where your
connection ends.  Even it's just a tunnel, we eventually get down to
layer 1 and bingo, the information is there.

Of course, you don't get the necessary infrastructure for free, but
you could use it for other services, too (like making identity theft a
bit harder).  There are privacy implications as well.  But I'm not
sure if an enticement to develop technical solutions is necessarily a
bad thing.