Re: watchdog of BIND server

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Sat Apr 30 08:20:06 2005
On 30 Apr 2005, at 04:48, Joe Shen wrote:

Is there any configurable watchdog of BIND server
deamon? E.g. once it found named is down, it will
shutdown network interface to make the server out of
anycast group.
BIND 9 is pretty good at watching itself; it's overwhelmingly likely to dump core with an assertion failure if it finds itself becoming unwell. Starting it with -f and wrapping that invocation with a pair of ifconfigs is what I suggested in the following document (which it sounds like may be what you are doing):

http://www.isc.org/pubs/tn/isc-tn-2004-1.html#appx.WrapperScript

You could supplement that wrapper script with a script that runs out of cron that kills named if it doesn't respond properly to queries. If you do that, though, I would take care to make sure your criteria for deciding that the process is hung is conservative, lest you wind up with a named that gets killed before it can properly start.

Joe