Re: OC3 to Gig-E conversion

  • From: Miquel van Smoorenburg
  • Date: Fri Apr 29 21:49:43 2005
  • Newsgroups: lists.nanog

In article <[email protected]>,
Richard A Steenbergen  <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 05:20:21PM -0400, Peering wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> > Is there something out there (other than a router) that will convert
>> > from OC3c to Gig-E?  Feel free to answer offline, don't want to fill
>> > everyone's inbox at once :)
>
>If you are looking for something that will actually convert native
>ethernet frames to native sonet frames, you are pretty much SOL.

If you have an OC3 circuit and just want to see GigE on both
sides, use two RIC-155GE boxes - one on each side.

http://www.rad.com/Article/0,6583,21840-GbE_over_STM-1_OC-3_Intelligent_Converter,00.html

"The RIC-155GE is an intelligent converter enabling simple, efficient and
cost-effective bridging of Gigabit Ethernet over STM-1/OC-3 lines."

I have no idea how well this works or what the costs are ..

Mike.