Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

  • From: Steven Champeon
  • Date: Fri Apr 29 15:28:56 2005

on Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 04:38:00PM +0930, Mark Newton wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 02:16:36AM -0400, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
>
>  > Any IP that a provider allows servers on should have
>  > distinctive, non-dynamic-looking DNS (and preferably be in a separate
>  > netblock from the dynamically-assigned IPs).
>
> What the hell is a "non-dynamic-looking DNS"?  Sure, if I see something
> like "static-192-168-1-1.isp.net" I can be reasonably sure that it's
> non-dynamic-looking,

Eh, doesn't really matter to me, it's still generic, and still impossible
to tell from static-192-168-1-2.isp.net, and if they've sent me spam or a
virus or hammered on my ssh/ftp/pop servers, I'm not going to accept mail
from them, either. Want to run a mail server? Give it non-generic rDNS.
I already assume that it should be on a static IP, but that doesn't mean
I assume that all static connections are worth accepting mail from.

> but what does the same thing look like in
> Portugese?

e.g.
197.87.30.213.rev.vodafone.pt (rev? boy, there's an informative naming
convention for rDNS - it's "rev", everybody)
adsl-norte02-1-136.vianw.pt - no way to tell if it's static/dynamic
195-23-87-54.tvtel.pt - no way to tell
adslfixo-b3-115-101.telepac.pt - static
adslsapo-b4-38-128.telepac.pt - 'sapo' means 'frog', apparently
dial-b3-61-196.telepac.pt - assumed dynamic
0000007790-10001150399.acesso.oni.pt - acesso? static or dynamic?
195-23-125-174.net.novis.pt - apparently, it's some kind of network
48-29.dial.nortenet.pt - assumed dynamic
pal-213-228-134-120.netvisao.pt - no way to tell
a213-22-198-130.netcabo.pt - no way to tell
0000002180-0001062928.dial.net4b.pt - no way to tell, assumed dynamic
d173018.csc.net.KPNQwest.pt - ".net"? no way to tell
213-63-0-209.jdsl.jazznet.pt - no way to tell
194-79-84-31.nr.ip.pt - no idea

At least some of the Portuguese providers use right-anchored substrings
so you don't have to use regexes to block mail from generic hosts. All
of those hosts have spammed me, so I don't accept mail from any of them
or anything that looks like them anymore.

Brazil is a mess, but they still adhere to many of the same sorts of
rDNS naming conventions as everyone else, they just tend to do it really
haphazardly. You'll see 'fixo' for static, 'dinamico' for dynamic,
'cliente' for client. 'rede' for network, 'cabo' for cable. I've seen
at least one 'conexao'. I dunno about PT influence on other parts of the
world.

> German?

213-239-235-249.clients.your-server.de
pop8-427.catv.wtnet.de
62.241.33.6.rev.worldbone.de
dont-blame-admin-its-a-dsl-pool-12-41.wobline.de <-- a personal fave
189-50.access.witcom.de
u2-25.dsl.vianetworks.de
ppp025.f.ipdial.vianetworks.de
154.2.sr1.DTM1.ip.versanet.de
a188060.studnetz.uni-leipzig.de <-- resnet
dynamic202.jura.uni-bonn.de
ip-112-188.travedsl.de
c-217.27.193.195.host.tnp-potsdam.de
42.adsl.tnp-potsdam.de
p213.54.0.171.tisdip.tiscali.de
td9091b9a.adsl.terralink.de
td9091c62.pool.terralink.de
etc.

Same case as above. You might be surprised at how consistent the naming
conventions are, with very little local color.

> Spanish?

Some regional differences between Mexico and Latin America on the one hand
and Spain on the other, but some examples from both:

via-addr11018.vianetworks.es
62-36-112-5.dialup.uni2.es
62-37-53-13.mad2.adsl.uni2.es
62-36-123-150.unresolved.net.uni2.es <-- personal fave
193-152-205-108.uc.nombres.ttd.es
213-129-168-49.DialUp.tiscali.es
48.host.terra.es
cm-213.141.42-126.telecable.es
d213-102-65-192.cust.tele2.es
128-VIGO-X6.libre.retevision.es
81-172-11-216.usuarios.retecal.es
62-15-203-25.inversas.jazztel.es
eu04-11.clientes.euskaltel.es
host-200.77.152.40-cust.telemedia.net.mx
dsl-201-128-15-62.prodigy.net.mx
ip-fir-clbi207-249-85-82mexis.net.mx (sic)
host112197.metrored.net.mx
customer-COB-122-31.megared.net.mx
dialip-200-53-62-177-gdl.marcanet.net.mx
ap-tp-acs15-093.ap.infosel.net.mx
dial-148-243-59-179.zone-1.dial.net.mx
cablea0olr.cybercable.net.mx
cmodem067.zona5.cablered.net.mx
host-148-244-152-186.block.alestra.net.mx
telviso-dsl-bloques-03-200-85-107-243.telviso.net.ar
adsl187-teco.via-net-works.net.ar
200-42-111-172.dup.prima.net.ar
200-42-83-250.cab.prima.net.ar
200-55-75-126.dsl.prima.net.ar
dig-ppp69156547.copetel.net.ar
line106.comsat.net.ar

'red', mostly, for 'network'. And 'usuarios' for 'users', 'linea' for
line. The universities are the worst; as you end up with names of
sciences and disciplines and so forth, but as long as you don't block
'correo' or 'fpe' or 'fep' you should be fine.

> French?

French is more difficult, as you might expect, because of course they
all use French words from time to time and last I knew, the official
government position was to create French words to replace any borrowed
American/English words so as to prevent the lingo from being corrupted.
So, a lot more mail servers named "courrier-electronique1.example.fr"
and the like. But when it comes to the multinationals, the naming is
usually the same or similar.

ANantes-106-1-5-107.w193-251.abo.wanadoo.fr
dyn-195-242-113-210.ppp.tiscali.fr
rev.host-159.6.tiscali-business.fr
d213-103-74-10.cust.tele2.fr
c2cea00e.adsl.oleane.fr
c3065fb3.tutti.oleane.fr <-- dunno. "all"?
ip-202.net-81-220-135.standre.rev.numericable.fr
e232.dhcp212-198-94.noos.fr
ppp-6.net-102.magic.fr
isdn-211.nantes.imaginet.fr
du-201-1.nat.dialup.freesurf.fr
infodis6238-2.clients.easynet.fr
du-214-105.nat.adsl.claranet.fr

You'll see 'abo' for 'cable', perhaps? as well as 'cable'. But for most
of the abbreviations and acronyms you'll see the same thing worldwide.
They haven't bothered to backtranslate PPP or ISDN or ADSL or DHCP.

And in Canada, where the movement to require multiple PTR records for
each IP in both French and English has stalled, you'll see stuff like:

d109.rocler.qc.ca - wtf?
IGV-C122.rocler.qc.ca - ?
ppp1239.webnet.qc.ca
dyn-230.loisirquebec.QC.CA
ppp36.67-113-216.ivic.qc.ca
ppp2-15.infoteck.qc.ca
dsl-205-205-142-112.cooptel.qc.ca
cnq20-253.cablevision.qc.ca
181-111-cormier-56k.9bit.qc.ca

You'll also see 'modemcable' or 'mc', such as videotron.ca, or
intermonde.ca uses, but they're the only ones I know of.

> (Korean?  Chinese?)

Dunno. Don't have many examples of those, as I block most traffic from
there, and what I didn't block didn't often have rDNS anyway. The one
net.cn example I have, nova, named all of their rDNS with
user.nova.net.cn - yep, that's it - what every host is named.

And the other non-edu example I have is

ppp191-188-129-61.online.sh.cn

Taiwan, on the other hand, is a complete mess in the edu space. But in
.net.tw it's pretty anglified and for the most part uses right anchors:

tp167099.adsl.tisnet.net.tw
tp167099.adsl.static.tisnet.net.tw
150-186.73.211-tdtv.tinp.net.tw
25.69.81.219.dynamic.tfn.net.tw
219-81-103-119.static.tfn.net.tw
61-62-33-143-adsl-tai.STATIC.so-net.net.tw
139-175-217-18.dialup.dynamic.seed.net.tw
221-169-101-166.adsl.static.seed.net.tw
218-187-123-82.dynamic.best.lsc.net.tw
243-197-63-61.lease.isl.net.tw
61-70-116-205.adsl.static.giga.net.tw
203-203-103-33.cable.dynamic.giga.net.tw
host81.21067173.gcn.net.tw

FPT Viet Nam uses 'adsl-pool-xxx', 'adsl-fix-xxx', and 'dialup-xxx' (yes,
the x's are part of the actual name, not a placeholder for the numbers).

The only ISPs naming conventions I've had a difficult time translating
are the Finns, and the occasional Hungarian or Rumanian; and even those
give an opportunity for creativity:

dsl-XXII-150.kotikaista.weppi.fi - yep, Roman numerals

There are three or more Finnish ISPs using full-on Roman Numerals for
their rDNS naming. multi.fi, weppi.fi, and saunalahti.fi. But even the
rest of the Finns use 'dsl', 'catv', 'dialup'. I think the only regional
variation is 'netti', which I assume means 'net'. The Swedes use
'bredband'. The Japanese use 'flets' and 'ftth', the Dutch and others
sometimes use 'kabel', Spanish speakers have 'telviso', and dial into
'pooles'. 'dedicado' is the name of an ISP in Uruguay, but they name all
their hosts with two numbers e.g. 107-15.dedicado.com.uy. Almost all of
the edu space uses 'dorm' or 'resnet' or some variation, except UNC
Greensboro, who, in a boon to address scrapers everywhere, actually
encourage abuse of their students' email by naming their dynamically
assigned hosts after the user's uncc.edu email address (I noticed this
in an rDNS scan trying to find a pattern so I could block abuse from
their network, and noticed that whereas most of the names looked like
flast-type formations, e.g., schampeon.uncg.edu, (naturally, not
subdomained off into 'students' or 'resnet', either) some of them looked
like schampeonuncgedu.uncg.edu, and then came somebody75aolcom.uncg.edu.
If I've noticed it, be sure the spammers have.

> Just wait'll we start getting unicode DNS names in non-English alphabets.
> Perhaps then you can tell what to look for in a string of Kanji symbols
> which might be suggestive of the concept of "static".

Well, when that happens, I'm sure we'll all have to learn the Kanji or
Mandarin strings for static and dynamic and ppp and so forth. Oh, well.

join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/account_manager.html    join us!