Re: Federal Security Bureau asks for more authority to control Internet

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Fri Apr 29 07:20:29 2005

On 4/29/05, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The Federal Security Service proposes setting new rules for Internet
>
> This makes Russia sound like some insane place where Big Brother
> spies on the communications of all citizens, like in the United States.

Here's a hint.. the FSB is the rebadged version of the old KGB
Trust me, they have a lot of experience snooping on the communication
of their citizens

>    The Ministry of Information Technologies and Communications is
>    opposed to the idea of adopting a separate law on Internet operations.
>    Speaking at today's panel discussion in the Federation Council, Deputy
>    Minister Boris Antonyuk said the use of the Internet could be regulated
>
>    by more general laws already in effect, including those dealing with
>    advertising, the protection of consumer rights, and administrative
> offenses.

Some of it yes.  The rest of it is uniquely internet related.

India is still learning that you cant use the Indian Posts and
Telegraphs Act, which was promulgated in the late 1890s, to try
regulate the telephony system and the internet all that efficiently.

Sure, there's the IT act of 2000, which is a basic copy and paste from
the Singapore IT act among other laws, but that still has a lot of
crossover with the old P&T act.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian ([email protected])