RE: PAIX Outages

  • From: Huopio Kauto
  • Date: Fri Apr 29 02:57:47 2005

> From: Alexander Koch [mailto:[email protected]]
[..]
> As another matter I do not believe in public peering at all
> when you have flows to a single peer that are ore than half
> of a full GE. Been there, was not at all nice. I guess more
> and more operators will have less and less public IX ports,
> and the open peering coalition will start wondering at some
> point... The AMSIX has a lot of 10G peers. While they just
> take two ports, and the AMSIX supposedly also being redundant
> (and cheap <g>) it is just a time- bomb. How many times did
> either LINX or AMSIX had issues (actually very rare!) and we
> happily overloaded our peers' interfaces at the respective
> other IX... Say what you want, but public peering (yes/no)
> has a lot to do with your amount of traffic, and your peers.

It depends. Thinking of reliability:
FICIX over here in Finland requires all full members to
join _two_ switches in physically separate locations from separate
points in your own network, using redundant fiber paths.
Result: a very reliable IX. In Sweden
Netnod has IX facilities in five cities around the country.
AFAIK most of the traffic exchange is done over public peerings
in Finland and Sweden - very reliably.

--Kauto