Re: Internet email performance study

  • From: Crist Clark
  • Date: Thu Apr 28 18:12:51 2005

aljuhani wrote:

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 23:42, Robert Beverly" <[email protected]>
......snip

Yes, our SMTP greetings are valid and up to spec.  Again, it's the
non-deterministic loss that we're most concerned about.  If there
were a problem with the SMTP exchange, we would see our emails
always rejected (for instance).  Our measurement study only includes
emails that were successfully delivered (indicated by a complete
series of successful status codes returned during SMTP exchange).

Many thanks,

rob
Hi,

Perhaps this explains it.

http://www.albury.net.au/netstatus/derouted.html
No, it doesn't. Please read their paper. In the paper and as he stated
again in the response above, their definition of a "loss" requires the
message to be delivered successfully in the first place. The anti-spam
measure described in the above URL causes the remote MTA to not accept
mail at all from the blocked source. This would not be counted as a loss
in their methodology, but possibly as an "error."

BTW your subnet (18.0.0.0/8) is listed there as well.
I don't see it there. And those are not censures of the entire /8 networks,
but just a list of how many individual hosts in that network are currently
blocked.
--
Crist J. Clark                               [email protected]
Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387