Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

  • From: Daniel Roesen
  • Date: Wed Apr 27 14:35:43 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:08:42AM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> Malicious packets now account for a significant percentage of all ip
> traffic.

As a data point:

An unused, never before used or even just announced /21 currently draws
an average of 112pps und 70kbit/s, translating to about 1GB (1 Gigabyte!)
of traffic per day, or about 30GB per month. In some countries, that
translates to real money (I'm hearing INTERESTING price tags on
bandwidth in South Africa).

Looking at psmith's weekly routing table report, this would extrapolate
(totally non-scientific and ignoring several effects) to at least about
675GB daily "stray" traffic in the whole Internet, WITHOUT any host
answering to the viruses, trojans, whatever.

I hope to find the time to do some capturing and analysis of this
traffic. If anyone here has experience with that I'd be happy to hear
from them... don't want to waste time doing something others already

Best regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: [email protected] -- [email protected] -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0