Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Wed Apr 27 06:14:33 2005

--On Wednesday, April 27, 2005 6:36 +0000 [email protected] wrote:

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:38:00PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
I think it's absurd.  I expect my water delivery company not to add
polutants in transit.  I expect my water production company to provide
clean water.
	er.. bad analogy warning... please take a sample of tap water to
	an independent lab for analysis...  and find out just what the
	water company is putting into your water.

Admittedly, there are contaminants in the water, but, I don't believe
most of them are added in transit.  (If I did, I'd be putting pressure
on to get that fixed).  If you're talking about fluoridation, I am
fortunate enough to live in an area where they figured out that was a
bad idea.

This is like asking the phone company to prevent minors from hearing
swear-words on telephone calls or prevent people from being able to make
prank phone calls from pay-phones.

	more bad analogies... :)

Why is this a bad analogy?  Neither of these actions are currently prevented
by the telcos.

	that said, if you don't want your ISP to diddle your packets,
	may i suggest IPSEC?
Sometimes I use IPSEC, but, I don't want my ISP to diddle my packets
whether they're tunneled or not.  Fortunately, so far, I've been able
to find ISPs that don't.

Owen