Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Wed Apr 27 01:45:18 2005

Why do ISPs owe this to their customers. I expect my ISP to deliver
packets sent to me, and, to pass along packets I send out. That is
the sum total of what I expect from my ISP, and, it's what my contract
says is supposed to happen. Where does this belief that when user A
at company Y sends a packet full of garbage to user B ad company Z
the ISP at either end is responsible for the contents of the packet?

That's like making the phone company responsible for the content of
a conversation or saying that Safeway distribution is responsible
for the content of Arrowhead spring water bottles that reach Safeway
stores.

Owen