Re: Internet2

  • From: Scott Call
  • Date: Tue Apr 26 17:06:54 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

What is "internet2 speed"? As far as I can see Internet2 is a 10G based national network. What is so special about that in this day and age?
I think the difference is the average connection speeds of the "end users" of the network. It's not at all uncommon today for a provider with a 10G+ backbone to have 100Mbs or less average connection speed, whereas I2 end users are often on campus networks at gig-E or faster.

So the speeds mentioned are the realized speeds in p2p and malware spreading applications, or at least that is my assumption based on the original poster's question.