Re: Problems with NS*.worldnic.com

  • From: Peter Corlett
  • Date: Tue Apr 26 09:56:03 2005
  • Newsgroups: newsgate.nanog

Randy Bush <[email protected]> wrote:
> lots of folk sent email to me and not the list. most report worldnic
> responding with tcp 53 and not udp. would love to hear confirmation
> on list. can think of a number of causes, one possible, but just a
> stab in the dark, would be an intentional hack as a defense to a
> spoofed-ip attack.

That's quite an interesting theory, and you may be right. However,
when given the choice between incompetence and malice, I know which
one my money is on.

> what are some names known to be hosted on worldnic?

voipbuster.com's one that they've been whining about on uk.telecom.
Right now, UDP DNS requests to ns25/ns26.worldnic.com for that domain
are giving truncated responses and TCP calls aren't even being
answered, so it's even more buggered than the last time I poked at it.

--
"I Adjure Thee, O Foul Demon of The Sinus, by this Leatherman Tool and
 this Fully Earthed 30 Amp Power Strip! Remain Thou within the Faraday