Re: Problems with NS*.worldnic.com

  • From: Jerry Pasker
  • Date: Tue Apr 26 02:19:44 2005

something *very* strange is going on.  the worldnic servers have
been giving delayed or no results for days now.  and nsi is hoping
we and the wsj/nyt won't notice.
I agree 100%.

but it's probably time for us all to dump symptoms here and figure
it out as a community, as the dog with the bone ain't 'fessing up.

randy
I'll bite.

I couldn't resolve ns*.worldnic.com domains until I finally bit the bullet, and unblocked port 53 TCP from my DNS server. Then it worked fine. (after a few tries) I'm using BIND 9.2.4 without the eye pee vee six stuff compiled in. Because I don't want to start something; No discussion about me blocking port 53, ok? I got tired of gobs of log files of script kiddies trying to download my domains 5 years ago... I actually READ my logs.... besides, I had to keep the linux boxes safe from the tyranny of bind 8 until they got upgraded. :-)

-Jerry