Re: Problems with NS*.worldnic.com

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Tue Apr 26 00:56:40 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:34:54 PDT, Rodney Joffe said:

> I am not sure whether the correct solution is to "fix" dig so that is tries
> ipv4, or to get the os "fixed" on a dual stack capable system so that if
> there is not ipv6 connectivity it disables that part of the system.  I
> suspect the first is appropriate, because there are obviously internal
> processes that may validly want to use ipv6 even though there is no ipv6
> connection.

The problem is that you *could* have local/campuswide ipv6 connectivity,
but not have an IPv6 connection to the outside world.  So my system comes
up, it sees a Router Advertisement, it can get to other IPv6 systems that
are 3-4 hops away.

So how is it supposed to "know" that it doesn't have an ipv6 connection?

Presumably the same way it "knows" it doesn't have an ipv4 connection when
your OC-moby to the outside world falls over, but it's still perfectly able to
talk to the entire rest of your corporate network....