Re: Slashdot: Providers Ignoring DNS TTL?

  • From: sthaug
  • Date: Sun Apr 24 16:24:14 2005

> In your note below you speak of 'moving on to something else' when
> PPLB comes.
>
> PPLB destabilizes TCP.  It elicits erroneous retransmissions,
> squanders capacity and lowers performance.

I would actually dispute this. I agree that PPLB will *occasionally*
lead to out-of-order packets, which will lead to lower TCP performance
*when it happens*. To many customers this is acceptable as long as PPLB
gives them improved performance *most of the time*. And this is what we
saw very clearly at my previous employer - PPLB worked very well, and
gave clearly increased performance, *most of the time*.

As mentioned in another message, I don't really believe PPLB is coming.
Instead I believe PPLB is something which is probably being *less* used
now than a few years ago, since other link bundling methods are more
easily available now (than they were a few years ago) - and these link
bundling methods occur at a layer below TCP, and are invisible to TCP
(no packet reordering problems).

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, [email protected]