[Fwd: Re: [Full-disclosure] Possible Virus activity]

  • From: Austin McKinley
  • Date: Sun Apr 24 10:58:35 2005

--- Begin Message ---
Hello everybody

First of all I have to apologize on behalf of Trend Micro.
I understand that you faced severe problems due to a significant
performance issue on PC's that have loaded the pattern file 2.594.00

Manual Solution:

To fix this problem, please follow the solution #24263 (Office Scan) and
#24264 (PC-cillin Internet Security Suite)
http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp
?solutionId=24263
http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp
?solutionId=24264

Explanation:

On April 22, 2005, starting at 3:33 pm Pacific (10:33 GMT) Trend Micro
posted a pattern file (2.594.00) that had the potential to interact with
certain computing configurations and cause computer performance issues
for some users.  This specific pattern file was only available during a
1 hour and 29 minute time window.  Trend Micro removed the pattern file
from our Web sites and Active Update servers at 5:02 pm (1:02 GMT), and
immediately took steps to post a new pattern file.  Subsequent pattern
file downloads do not cause these issues.

Right now Trend Micro global support team is working to fully understand
the extent of the problem and provide additional solutions.
Trend Micro has extended support hours especially to help those
customers who had this special intersection of circumstances and were
affected by this issue. Trend Micro is continuing testing in order to
fully understand initial assessments and fix the issue, and endeavor to
provide additional information as it becomes available.

Martin Roesler
Director of Global Technical Support Operations
Trend Micro Deutschland GmbH
Lise-Meitner-Str. 4
85716 Unterschleissheim

E-Mail: [email protected]