Re: Slashdot: Providers Ignoring DNS TTL?

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Sat Apr 23 00:14:23 2005

On Apr 22, 2005, at 11:20 PM, Dean Anderson wrote:

People have been using TCP applications on anycast for at least a
decade, as I mentioned before.  Since DNS responses tend to be very
short lived TCP session, it seems to me that if it works for other
applications (e.g. HTTP), it should work for DNS.
Its funny how I give you TWO conditions, and you ignore one of them. I'll
try to use little tiny baby words:
Well, I can set up "conditions" where anything you try to make work does not work.

TCP Anycast does NOT work with PPLB (Per - packet - load - balancing)
Say it slowly several times.
How about I don't say it at all.

Here, say this several times slowly: "If you use a standard phone cable between your NIC and the wall, it won't work." So why do you keep trying to not use anycast since I have arbitrarily decided that when you do not use anycast you must use a phone cable in your NIC?

What? You don't want to use phone cables in your NIC? Strange, I don't want to use PPLB with my anycast setup, but you seem to think that is a condition of anycast. Which is about as intelligent as forcing you to use a phone cable in your NIC. (Actually, I bet many people here would think forcing you to a phone cable in your NIC would be intelligent....)

Isn't it interesting how sane^Wexperienced engineers can figure out networking basics like not using _per_packet_ load balancing on an application which might use TCP. If you study hard, maybe someday you will be able to figure these things out too. :-)

--
TTFN,
patrick

P.S. I guess it didn't take much time to see which of us was insane.